Sunday 29 April 2012

real matters: hair today, gone tomorrow!

I've always wanted to donate my hair to Locks of Love following a couple of my friends noble lead.  

As cancer has claimed or affected many special people in my life, I wanted to help individuals going through chemo and facing hair loss. Unfortunately, Locks of Love is only an American charity but I did stumble upon a similar charity, Little Princess Trust, that supplies real hair wigs to children suffering from cancer to alopecia and anywhere in between. 

I can only imagine as an adult the pain of losing your hair, but being a little kid and going through the same process has to be extremely traumatic. Wearing a wig that isn't synthetic and itchy, and made from real hair, I hope, will ease that experience.

I've been growing my hair out for a while and decided it was long enough (has to be at least 7 3/4" long to donate) time to take the plunge.  Surprisingly, I was extremely calm about chopping off 10 inches of my hair and a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders (literally)! It was so liberating to go through a drastic change (albeit hair style) but to know I would be helping someone that truly needs my hair more than I need it.



I encourage everyone to grow their hair out and donate to a similar cause.  I'm already excited to donate again, but for now I'll enjoy my new summer 'do.  My hair's never been healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment